The difference between OKC and Tulsa...for me

>> Thursday, January 22, 2009

You see, I stay pretty involved with the interpreter organization for the area that I live in. 

For Tulsa, that was GCRID and in OKC that is OKRID....technically GCRID is part of OKRID...but they've always sort of acted as though they are not affiliated is OKRID.  Anyways, in Tulsa I was involved with GCRID...first as Vice-President and then as President for two years.  The best part of this...No ONE LIKED ME! I am not saying this for sympathy as I could honestly care less what their opinion was/is of me.  I say this to point out my experience there.  My second term as President of GCRID is when I got a very distinct feeling that they were ONLY reelecting me because I was good at what I did...NOT because they wanted to associate with me.  There was only a very small number of interpreters there that didn't whince when I spoke to them. 

Here in OKC it has been a strange transition for me.  I of course quickly became involved with OKRID, but sort of stayed out of the conversations.  Some of this is because of a confrontation that I had with someone a few weeks before I moved which confirmed that my reputation was racing me to OKC and winning. I started working and pretty much stayed as quiet and out of the way as possible.  I had made the decision early into my move that I would rather remain virtually anonamous than deal with the non-sense I dealt with in Tulsa.  This suited me just fine as I prefer the quiet life for the most part anyways.  Don't misunderstand, I enjoy the occasional spirited debate, but I am happy with being unknown. So, thats the role I played...for quite a while.  However, there is something odd that has taken place these past several months...folks have actually smiled in my direction and asked how I was doing...they have asked me to do things...not because they knew I could but didnt want to....but because they actually seem to like me...its very bizarre and I have to say that it really says something that in the year that I have lived here I have more friends in the interpreting community than I ever did the 4 or 5 years in Tulsa. 

A bit sad for them really...  I like it here though and honestly, I would be okay with staying here for a long time if that were in the cards.   Wait and see I guess

~Micheal


Powered by ScribeFire.

0 comments:


About

My photo
OKC, OK, United States

My Google Calender

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP